Saturday, September 8, 2007
Upping its standards since 1946-The Barbary Coast-Wilmington's World Class Dive Bar
The Barbary Coast is a legendary bar in Wilmington, NC. As I remember, it was founded by a suitably colorful character in Port City lore: Tugboat Captain/Prizefighter "Buddy" Best (who was a client and friend of my Attorney Father WK Rhodes Jr.). In my twenties, the bar was a great haven because it had cheap beer, a great jukebox and a surprisingly cheerful, attractive staff. It's rougish repuation was well-earned, but it was much less dangerous than people percieved (mainly because owner Paul Best, son of Buddy, ran a tight ship and would not put up with any roughhousing). The result of this was probably the world's most comforting dive bar.
On my recent trip to Wilmington, I pulled in to see if the bar was the same. When I walked in, I was almost nailed by a dart as some guys were playing at 3pm on a dartboard next to the entrance. As I sat down and ordered a PBR it occurred to me that the place had not changed a bit (except for the Barbary Film Festival nights and free wireless internet access)-Great stuff here!
116 S Front St
- ► 2018 (31)
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (113)
- ► 2009 (87)
- ► 2008 (59)
- Elements of the Table author Lynn Rosen sheds ligh...
- Kristin Davis at the AHAVA launch in the Weather R...
- Venturas in Utica, NY
- A Man of His Word: The Zen of Fish author intervie...
- Upping its standards since 1946-The Barbary Coast-...
- Riverfront Farmers Market-Wilmington, North Caroli...
- As far As I remember Nagila is Wilmington's Best R...
- New Yorker moves to Wilmington...and manages to be...
- A Downtown Wilmington, North Carolina Classic is n...
- Down Home Empire-Port City Java
- THAT 70's RESTARAUNT-THE LITTLE DIPPER IN WILMINGT...
- ▼ September (11)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...