Sunday, July 20, 2008
Grey Horse Tavern in Bayport Stumbles out of the Gate....
(Above: Poorly Behaved Grey Horse Patrons banished to the porch)
The Grey Horse Tavern, recently opened on the footprint of the old, beloved Bayport House in Bayport, NY (Long Island) is, so far, a mixed bag. The food is first rate(with a better chopped style salad than nearby Painters in Brookhaven)-The Artisanal cheese plate is also very good with a seamless mix of Long Island and European cheeses. The swordfish I had was the best and most confidently prepared swordfish I have ever taste.
Now for the bad news: The service and atmosphere couldn't be worse. It is not neglectful service, it is merely incompetent. The waitstaff disappeared for long stretches with no real explanation on their return, drinks were mixed up, tables were far too close together and the acoustics are as bad as I can remember in an "upscale" restaurant. In easy to please Suffolk Co. these "problems" are usually not enough to sink an establishment. And, most of these kind of things can be remedied with a couple of staff meetings and a little elbow grease. Now it is incumbent upon GHT to get to work on these loose ends. If they do, they will have a first rate establishment. If not....
Grey Horse Tavern
291 Bayport Ave.
- ► 2018 (35)
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (113)
- ► 2009 (87)
- The Bear Cafe in Woodstock must be the best restar...
- Strangely unsatisfying- Hudson's wonderful Swoon....
- Grey Horse Tavern in Bayport Stumbles out of the G...
- Long Island's Mastic Sea Food is Fantastic!
- What else can we say-Dockers in East Quogue might ...
- Ralph's ice is comfort food raised to an art form ...
- Mark and Lynn Visit Pigale and the W Hotel
- ▼ July (7)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...