Monday, May 25, 2009
A nice low key event at the very fine spirit/wine shop Quench in Patchogue this past Memorial Day weekend; a tasting of Black Box Wines. The catch, it is wine in a box! This development in wine has been met with some controversey as wine in a box is, in theory, a superior proposition all the way around as the wine stays "fresh" longer and it is a good value. There is also the practical advantage of not having to worry about glass while on a boat, on a picnic, etc. The loss is of course some of the rituals that make wine drinking part of age old traditions like popping a cork, etc. and not just a practical venture.
In any event, the merlot was very solid and appropriate for the grilled steaks that Mark and Lynn were planning to eat as part of the holiday. I don't know that we are converts yet, but it is for certain that when fine establishments like Quench have this kind of wine as part of their inventory then you can be sure box wines are here to stay.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
The unfortunate Hazy Moon is gone in Patchogue and apparently a new restaraunt called the Public House is set to take its place at 49 Main St. Mark called the Publick House in Southampton and as best as I know there is no connection. That particular space in Patchogue has been through a number of incarnations in the last few years...
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Melissa at the Garden of Eve helped walk Lynn through the paces of gathering and preparing eggs for meals. Melissa emphasized the need to be careful when using eggs in culinary offerings. Of particular note was the amazing chive infused mayonaise which had unbelieveable texture and flavor. The farm offers other classes and events throughout the spring and summer (this being one of the first).
For more info check www.gardenofevefarm.com
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Kevin pulled this curiosity out knowing that Mark and Lynn love an unusual marketing ploy-This John Alexander designed crystal skull is a Dan Ackroyd production and plays off of his interest in the occult...Too much to explain, but he speaks about it in the following introduction on the crystal head vodka site-The vodka had an unbielvably clean taste with more backbone than some other first rate vodkas. Our thought is that it's bitchin' packaging might make it seem like a novelty driink more than a superior spirit...
- ► 2019 (12)
- ► 2018 (35)
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (113)
- Mark and Lynn sample Black Box Wines at Quench in ...
- Mother's Day at Jamesport Manor Inn
- Public House looks to open in Patchogue, NY at old...
- Lynn goes to the Garden of Eve Hunter and Gather E...
- One of Long Island's best bartenders (Kevin) in ac...
- Mark and Lynn love Crystal Head Vodka at Painter's
- ▼ May (6)
- ► 2008 (59)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...