From the Gluten Free and Almond Flour Cookbook (Ten Speed Press)
From Elana Amersterdam's The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook (Ten Speed Press)
Looking for a healthy yet tasty dessert? Look no further. With nutrient-dense almond flour and pears, a fruit particularly high in vitamin C, this dish is a great choice. This refreshing crisp is simple, easy to make, and full of warmth and comfort on a chilly fall day. I like to make it with soft, fully ripened pears—Anjou, Bartlett, or Bosc work very well.
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 medium pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set aside an 8-inch square baking dish.
To make the filling, whisk together the apple juice, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Place the pears in a bowl, toss with the apple juice mixture, then transfer to the baking dish.
To make the topping, combine the almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave nectar, and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture, until coarsely blended and crumbly.
Sprinkle the topping over the fruit. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the top of the crisp is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Let the crisp cool for 30 minutes, then serve warm.
- ► 2019 (12)
- ► 2018 (35)
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- The Sleek Decor of Boston's Museum of Fine Art's B...
- Bravo at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is a se...
- Serafina at Dream Hotel NYC makes a lovely ginger ...
- The Dream Hotel has a seedy glamour that (finally)...
- More Images from Mark and Lynn's Visit the Dream H...
- Cafe 2 at Museum of Modern Art...
- Mark and Lynn Take a look inside Elana's Pantry...
- Bonus #1 Elana Shares her (Gluten Free) Chocolate ...
- Bonus # 2 Elana's Pantry shares her Pear Crisp (G...
- Bonus # 3 Elana's Pantry shares her Double Chocola...
- ▼ March (10)
- ► 2009 (87)
- ► 2008 (59)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...