From Elana Amersterdam's Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook (Ten Speed Press)
Chocolate Chip Scones
Makes 16 scones
In college, I used to pretend chocolate chip scones were a breakfast food instead of a dessert, devouring one nearly every morning. Using agave nectar to lower the glycemic index of this scone makes my unique categorization less of a stretch. Rich in antioxidants and low in sugar, organic dark chocolate makes these decadent-looking scones a healthy indulgence.
2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 large eggs
1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (73% cacao)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave nectar, and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined, then fold in the chocolate. Drop the batter, in scant 1/4 cups 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 12 to 17 minutes, until golden brown or a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Let the scones cool for 30 minutes on the baking sheets, then serve.
(Images and Text Courtesy of Ten Speed Press)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- The Sleek Decor of Boston's Museum of Fine Art's B...
- Bravo at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is a se...
- Serafina at Dream Hotel NYC makes a lovely ginger ...
- The Dream Hotel has a seedy glamour that (finally)...
- More Images from Mark and Lynn's Visit the Dream H...
- Cafe 2 at Museum of Modern Art...
- Mark and Lynn Take a look inside Elana's Pantry......
- Bonus #1 Elana Shares her (Gluten Free) Chocolate ...
- Bonus # 2 Elana's Pantry shares her Pear Crisp (G...
- Bonus # 3 Elana's Pantry shares her Double Chocola...
- ▼ March (10)
- ► 2009 (87)
- ► 2008 (59)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...