Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Best Market in Patchogue makes grocery shopping glamorous again in Brookhaven...
Since Bellport's late, lamented Wallen's closed in early 2011 Lynn and I have not had much fun shopping for everyday groceries in our Brookhaven neck of the woods. There is still an IGA in Bellport that does the job in certain respects but ends up being a little depressing with its droopy produce, chemical smell and apathetic cashiers. What relief to have discovered Best Market in Patchogue! Great and strange; no magazines or newspapers at the checkout; a creative beer section; amazing fresh and cheap produce; a great seafood section (rare for grocery stores in our part of Brookhaven); good prices on staples like Boar's Head products; a good meat department; good chocolate...well you get the idea.
Grocery shopping is underrated as a pleasurable activity and Lynn and I really take some pleasure in this activity that many people see as pedestrian. The concrete floors and retro marketing made us feel like we were shopping with the ghost of Barbara Stanwyck (or maybe Betty Draper).
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- Tuthilltown Spirits brings fourth Basement Bitters...
- Tuthilltown Spirits in Gardiner warms mark and lyn...
- Grandson Jackson Perkins channels Bruce Wayne at t...
- It's not food, it is Pez....
- Barrington Coffee in Boston is a civilized outpost...
- Tony's Sushi in Moriches sexes up its image...
- Best Market in Patchogue makes grocery shopping gl...
- ▼ April (7)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (113)
- ► 2009 (87)
- ► 2008 (59)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...