Wednesday, June 12, 2013
The Goat and Compass in downtown is the dive bar par excellence...
One could probably make a good argument that Wilmington, North Carolina is the dive bar capital of the USA. Exhibit A might very well be the Goat and Compass on North 4th Street. The Goat and Compass has not been in Wilmington very long, although I can't say how long it has been around; for instance, it wasn't there when Lynn and I left the Port City in 2000. The G & C can't compare in longevity to say The Barbary Coast on Front Street which has the patina and archaeological layers of a 17th century tavern in Williamsburg.
The Goat and Compass, however, has packed a lot of physical character into it's relatively short history with its pounded and worn surfaces and lived in bar chairs. The G&C is a great beer and shot place (don't order a mixed drink unless you are cool with getting a martini in a plastic cup). I pushed my luck and ordered a Cuba Libre which cooled the early summer heat of Wilmington (even in a plastic cup). We went there on a couple of occasions in the first week of June. We found that the place grew on us with its raffish charm, blistering A/C, dorky 90's music and laid back bartenders.
The real appeal for us was the "cornhole" court in back of the bar which is a game of subtlety and finesse where the notion is to throw a canvas beanbag through a plywood apparatus often while negotiating the effects of the heat of the deep South and the effect of icy Cuba Libres and/or Gin and Tonics on motor skills. Like many dive bars like the G&C the point is creating great memories which we did in our brief stay in June 2013.
M & L
- ► 2018 (35)
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (52)
- Mark and Lynn uncover hidden gem Seoul Food DC in ...
- Mark and Lynn dig An Illustrated Guide to Cocktail...
- Wilmington, North Carolina at night....
- Mark and Lynn find Nick's Diner in Wilmington, NC ...
- Yankee kin Mark and Lynn mostly like Rx in Wilming...
- Mark and Lynn check out Wilmington, North Carolina...
- The Goat and Compass in downtown is the dive bar p...
- Mark and Lynn Spend the afternoon in The National ...
- ▼ June (8)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (113)
- ► 2009 (87)
- ► 2008 (59)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...