Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Mark and Lynn love Portlandia: Cook like a local
The recent release of The Portlandia Cook Book: Cook Like a Local (Clarkson Potter) is a particularly pleasant entry in the march of seasonal cookbooks not the least of which is it wears its foodie appreciation lightly and with much humor. The Portlandia Cook Book is a natural extension of the Portlandia series on IFC which parodies the idiosyncratic citezines and institutions of Portland. Bike, music, hipster, bike and literary culture are a few of the many cultures and sub-cultures that Portlandia takes a good natured swipe at.
Of particular interest to us is the show's take on food culture. Food is a big part of the show which features cult raised (but local) chicken; a dumpster diving dinner party; a tailgate party for Prarie Home Companion; artisinal movie popcorn and so on. The cookbook makes mention of these and other niche cuisine in the book. Oddly enough, there are some exceptionally creative recipes that Lynn was interested in particularly the Baked Manchego-Filled Dates, the Roasted Wild Mushrooms with Foraged Greens and Hazlenut Vinagrette (topped with an egg) and the Slamburger (a giant burger which can be topped with an egg).
Still, the unique appeal of this work is the humorous sidebars in the the PCB: The CSA newsletter ("keep your voice down around the grey horse if you come around"); the coffee shop manifesto ("The Wi-Fi password is Leave.Go); A Mixologist's Guide to Ice ("A Mixologist Walks into a bar. Bartender says,'What can I get you?' Mixologist says 'A tall glass of water, four hours, and your freezer.')
The book will be great to lighten the mood over the Holidays.
- ► 2019 (11)
- ► 2018 (35)
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (38)
- Tend is an unlikely hip coffee house in Shirley, N...
- Bar Tartine: Techniques and Recipes is a next leve...
- Scott's Barbecue Sauce hits a nostalgic cord for M...
- A few recipes from Portlandia: Cook Like a Local
- Mark and Lynn love Portlandia: Cook like a local
- Seoul Food in Sliver Springs wows Mark and Lynn (a...
- ▼ December (6)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (51)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (113)
- ► 2009 (87)
- ► 2008 (59)
Links of note from M & L...
- I (Mark) have written for The Christian Science Monitor, Clear Magazine, Picture Magazine, Film Score Monthly, Dan's Papers, Rue Morgue, In Flight USA and a lot more publications that I can't remember.... My wife Lynn was a model with the Ford Agency and her photography has been featured in most of the publications I have written for...